Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Part of the Crowd or Proud to be Yourself?

So today I am at work, working as hard as a fabulous Hollywood starlet can! You all know that I have a day job. It affords me the right to splurge on the new Gucci bag or the hottest Christian Louboutin heels. Yes ladies it gives me fun money. So don't judge, some of us Hollywood celebs really do have to work for our money!!! Even though my hottie husband Michael doesn't do to shabby himself!

So while here are work I of course had to watch Michael perform this morning on the Today show. Ahhhh he was simply amazing! But don't be fooled, there are some haters here in the old oficina! Yes it seems Michael (my boss not hottie hot husband) is not a huge fan of the huz. And Pam, well she is not a fan either. They are more of the punk rock/alternative scene. Nothing wrong with that. We all have our own tastes right. Just because mine is more refined and 1000 times better, that's ok! ha!

So I started thinking that as I have gotten older and become a wife and a mom I have really "found myself". Let's be honest, in high school, you went with the mainstream, you liked what everyone else liked and you did not dare try to pretend. One funny story that I kid you not is true for me went a little like this.....Lynette who went to private school her whole childhood suddenly moved to public school for high school. Lynette who wore uniforms everyday from kindergarten to eight grade suddenly had to wear "street clothes"! WHAT! AGH! What do I wear! Well first few weeks of school, Lynette notices that all the girls are wearing low cut converse tennis shoes, Lynette was accustom to wearing saddle oxfords! So what does Lynette do when faced with the ever impending question...Lynette where are your converse? Do I answer truthfully, do I tell them I have never even owned a pair, let alone know that they are cool....nope- I lie and say oh they are at home! Stellar! But hey its high school, you just want to fit in!

Then comes college and sororities. I was part of that sorority that is often referenced on Saturday Night Live, you know.....Delta Delta Delta, can we help ya, help ya help ya! Yep, proud TriDelt alumni! Well I went to school a few states away (not in Hollywood anymore Toto) and I also played a little game called golf in college. This little game was my free ride, my meal ticket to the education! Again, the name of the game was fitting in! I am a shy person by nature (probably why I like to express my feelings through writing!) and therefore making friends was number one priority. Not that I was not myself at all, I just think situations and circumstances like that do not allow you to truly understand who you are as a person.

Enter Mommy hood, whoa it through me for a loop! I was a Hollywood workaholic. I worked all the time. I worked late into the night on set and produced a million projects! I was good at what I did and rose through the ranks. But again, it did not allow me anytime for friends, fun times or anything else. Sure I attended fabulous premiers and award shows but I was still not free to do what I wanted! Now get your head out of the gutter, its not like I was a masked Broadway star just yearning to let me free spirit reign! I just didn't really truly understand what I liked and disliked!

Fast forward to today, because of my wonderful friend, Kelly Ripa, I have met the most wonderful friends who I honestly could spend every single minute with! I just love all these girls and am so lucky to be part of their inner Hollywood circle. And through Dennis I have really come to understand who I am! Its funny really.

So what have I discovered...well here we go. Let's start with fashion. I prefer to dress Dennis in plain colored polos and plain colored pants/shorts. Not the same color of course, the poor boy is not in prison or anything. But I like a plain grey polo with red shorts and of course Keds. I love Keds on Dennis. Not all my friends put their kids in Keds and at first I think I was a little self conscience that they would think differently of me for him wearing them but I quickly realized that was sooooo high school. We are adults now! Through Dennis's wardrobe choices that I make I have learned something about myself, I like the same things. I do not have the ability to find a cute shirt and throw a cute jacket with it and look trendy and unique. Nope, I go to Ann Taylor loft, Gap or Old Navy, look at the catalog or manikins and then buy the same outfit. That is as creative as I get! That is a lesson that I have learned about myself only recently. Or maybe I always knew it but I just never stopped to realize it!

I have also realized that having a child has opened up my eyes to so much. I am a tomboy at heart and God blessed us with an adventurous little boy! Jennifer Aniston is my partner in crime as we explore all the fun things about our city to do that are not your ordinary typical fun things! I have learned so much about myself. I have learned to stray from the norm is ok!

I have also learned that true friendship is unmistakable and uncompromisable. I have learned that old college friends still make me smile and can give you advice on pretty much anything. I have learned that Michael and I and sometimes need to experience things in order to learn our lesson. Sometimes you make think the gigantic mansion is what you want or need but maybe you just need to be close to others. Maybe on the surface something appears so right but deep down you know where your heart is. We have learned that this year and I am perfectly okay with admitting that!

I have learned to be myself! Who cares if I am madly in love with Michael Buble, who cares if I prefer to shop at Old Navy instead of Christian Dior and who cares if I think Dennis's hair is perfectly cute and white and maybe even would look good longer rather than the short spikey. Yes folks, I have learned what is "me" and now I can move on. The little dirty secrets are out of the closet. I encourage you to air yours, come on my fabulous friends!!! Sure this will end up as an expose on True Hollywood Stories but better told by me than Guiliana Ransic!

What a reflective post on this rainy Tuesday. As I sign-off let me tell you that right now as I type I am loving the Lady Antebellum song..Need You Now! Love it!

7 comments:

Ashley Olsen said...

Such a great post, Lynette! On top of being fabulous, wealthy and beautiful...you are quite self-actualized (undergrad psych degree speaking) for your young age :) It is amazing how much you learn about yourself because of your kids, although I have quite a long way to go still! Maybe you can refer me to the top secret Hollywood therapist that has helped you get to this point...was it Dr. Phil?? We also should definitely go shopping together sometime because we seem to have very similar methods...and I see no shame in that, but I could NOT live without my stylist :)

Charlotte York said...

Love this post Lynette!! And LOVE me some KEDS girlfriend! :) Can't wait till our getaway to the French Riviera next week! xoxo!

Katie Couric said...

My sorority has a first name, it's D-E-L-T-A. My sorority has to other names, they're D-E-L-T-A. So if you want to have some fun, call 539-2381, for gentlemen prefer so say they date a D-E-L-T-A.

Oh dear, what would have done without you in college!

I love the woman, wife, and mom you have become over the years! Great post.

Anonymous said...

OH you just made my day! You know I am cheering you on for this post! I hear ya! With everything! :) And, we must have the same taste in music as well as play date ideas. LOVE Lady Antebellum! Have you heard Gloriana? XOXOXOXO Jen :)

Lucy (& Ricky) said...

I loved this post, Lynette! I totally support you being yourself. Sometimes it is tough but in the end, I always feel more comfortable when I'm true to me.

p.s. I have a slight addiction to keds too.

Lucy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucy (& Ricky) said...

p.p.s. confession: I spend more on E's clothes than my own!